News & Blog
On Saturday, April 6 at 1pm, Urban Greens and Crossfit Providence will be hosting a community potluck at the Crossfit Gym, located at 425 Washington St in Providence. Come taste dishes made by community members and neighbors and meet other folks interested in healthy eating!
This is a great opportunity to learn about Urban Greens Food Co-op, and Check out Crossfit Providence. We’ll talk about how eating locally also means healthier products, and be there to answer any questions. There will be an open work with Crossfit Trainers before the potluck. Crossfit Games Open begins at 11am! Dodgeball around 12:30!
New members, and Current members eligible for prizes from local businesses!
Local businesses are showing their support for Urban Greens Food Co-op by donating gift certificates for raffles. Reaching 500 members will allow Urban Greens Food Co-op to have enough capital to leverage for the major financing of our Grocery store build out. We are very grateful for the generosity of the local business community. There are three ways to be entered into the raffle:
- Become a member. New members who sign-up and make their first installment payment or pay for their entire share between March 2013 until the end of our 500 Member Drive will be entered into the raffle. Join Online or in person.
- Make a payment on an existing membership. Any current member owners with an existing balance who make a payment of 40 dollars for a full share or 10 dollars for a low-income share between March 2013 until the end of our 500 Member Drive will be entered into the raffle. Scroll to the bottom of this page page to make an installment payment
- Refer a Friend. Any Member who refers a friend to become a member between March 2013 until the end of our 500 Member Drive will be entered into the raffle.
Come to our Spring Equinox Celebration on March 21 get in on the First Raffle Prizes!
A Tea Sampler pack from Farmacy Herbs. (25 dollar value)
A Raffle for a free massage from Westside Wellness. (75 dollar value)
Join now, and you'll stay entered in our future raffles until you win!
Here are some highlights of donated raffle items.
Farmstead - $100.00 Gift Card
Ryan Conaty Photographer –Portrait session appropriate for an engagement $325 value
Cluck! - $50.00 gift certificate
Ada Books $20.00 Gift Card
The Olive Tap $25 Gift Card
Farmacy Herbs Tea Sampler Pack $25 value.
Westside Wellness Body work Gift Certificate
The Good Earth Organic Garden Center $50 Gift Card
Yvette Koch Acupuncture session
White Electric $20.00 Gift Card
Kelly Burke certified organic lawn specialist, full evaluation on your yard including soli sampling and consultation.
Urban Greens Spring Equinox Celebration
Thursday March 21st 6PM 186 Carpenter street Providence, RI
Come celebrate the coming of spring, meet your neighbors, share some delicious food and learn about Urban Greens' plan to open a community owned grocery store in the West Side of Providence.
- Live Music by Farmers from Scratch Farm
- Food from Cabot Cheese, a New England Co-op.
- A Screening of a short talk by Ladonna Redmond, Chicago Food Activist about urban access to healthy food.
Plus Raffles for:
400 Members and counting! What a way to bring in the 2013!
This was a huge milestone for Urban Greens, and shows how important a food co-op is and how close we are to our goal of 500! Getting to 500 is well within our reach, and the key step in moving forward on the store.
We’re gaining momentum fast, and need to keep building our membership to get the co-op doors open. If you haven’t joined yet, or know someone who’s thinking about joining, now is the time!
Project Manager in full swing!
After a good bit of on-boarding, and orienting, Delia Kovac, who we introduced at the member meeting, is on board full time as the Urban Greens project manager!
With Delia’s exciting addition, Urban Greens Food Co-op makes a significant transition from being an entirely volunteer-run effort to having full-time paid staff. Urban Greens has gained incredible momentum in realizing its goal of establishing a financially sustainable, full-scale, neighborhood grocery store on the west side of Providence.
Delia’s office and the main Urban Greens office is located in the offices of West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation, who have generously shared their office space. The address is 224 Dexter Street, Providence, RI 02907.
Please Note: The Urban Greens buying club will continue to operate out of the West Broadway Neighborhood Association.
Annual Meeting: Open to Everyone!
Please join us for our Annual Membership Meeting this Sunday, December 2nd starting at 6pm at the West Broadway Neighborhood Association (WBNA), 1560 Westminster St, Providence, RI. The Annual Meeting is an important time for all Member-Owners and community members to come together to:
- Meet our new Urban Greens Project Manager!
- Vote for new Council Members!
- Talk location specifics! We're finalizing locations for a Market Study and want to hear from you!
- Come and hang out with your neighbors, friends, and fellow co-op enthusiasts
- Learn about all of the exciting progress that's been made in the last 12 months, and what's coming up!
- Bring a pie for our Second Annual Pie Contest!
Before the meeting please email us nominations for new council members and consider nominating yourself. Council membership involves working with a small core group of member-owners to help make the co-op a reality – time commitment is flexible and council members are encouraged to work on things that they are most interested in.
The Cooperative Council will provide soup and bread. If you would like to contribute, we suggest you bring a PIE for the pie contest!
Child care will be provided!
We are also asking for food donations for the Rhode Island Food Bank. For a list of the most needed non-perishable foods, check out the RI Food Bank website